The Other Side of History: Daily Life in the Ancient World

Read in May 2018
Book by Robert Garland published in 2013

I try my best to write a short summary/review of the books I read, and this is one of them. I typically publish them on Goodreads, but also sync them to here.

This audiobook took me from neolithic humans to the middle ages. Most of history is about the kings and nobles, about the 0.1%. This book is about the other 99.9%. How did the citizens of ancient Egypt, Greece, Rome? What about the vikings and the normans? It's a fascinating tour through an often ignored side of history; the other side of history, as Garland calls it. What did people do for fun? What did they do if they were sick, someone in their family passed away, or how did they marry? As I've transitioned largely to biographical and historical audiobooks, despite this being 25 hours I found myself turning it back on for another 30m lecture any chance I got. Truly enjoyable and easy to consume.